Saturday, January 9, 2010

Avatar and the not so hidden message



So I watched Avatar a few weeks ago.
A little boy of probably 5 yo was sitting next to my friend.
Luckily the boy wasn't sitting next to me, but nevertheless, it's so much fun looking at him bugging my friend.
The whole time, he was slurping his soft drink, if he wasn't making loud noises slurping, he'd be munching on potato chips
and he'd be like "hey mum....... do you still have some more potato chips over there"
but my friend didn't feel bothered at all, so everything's ok :)
Oh and during the war scene, the boy actually sat up straight during the whole time, he didn't even move, his eyes glued to the big screen and he sat up straight the entire time :)

anyhoo.....
Did anyone else cried while watching Avatar ?
I don't even know why I cried, well, actually I do know.
I'm kinda lazy to explain why, but some of the scene just evoke this sad feeling inside.

okay... so the msg I got was :

- the na'vi - kinda like african/indian tribes who are more connected the the nature compared to us
also as the ppl fighting so hard to protect the environment aka their home
- need to protect land
protecting world, respecting it n living in harmony

- colonisation by ignorant powerful ppl
all the destruction triggered by greed
- politics, investor, biz, money, greed, destruction of mother earth
- the rock - unobtanium is like blood diamond

- change of hearts, hopeless to leader, not caring to sacrificing

- animal reacting - such an irony
esp, when the animals helping to fight the war - this so reminds me of the elephants going to villages because their natural habitat is destroyed and they get killed because they're ruining a village.

- "i see u" - seeing past differences

- there's energy from nature n us
we're just not aware of them anymore.

So those are some of the messages I got from such a big buck sci-fi movie
but Do the messages get across, ever ?

just wondering though..... the Sacred tree is supposed to be, well, sacred
but am I mistaken , but did Neytiri and Jake Sully have sex there ?

besides that, Avatar is a beautifully made movie by such talented imaginative people.
I'm now wondering what it'd be like to watch Avatar in 3D.

No comments: